As everyone knows, the US President-elect is Donald Trump. Many have heard about how awful and unfit he would be as a president, yet American voters somehow thought otherwise. As an American, I think this only shows how uneducated America is as they voted for a man who can’t overlook his own ego and wishes to simply “Make America White Again” — no offense to those who identify as Caucasian.
This election also proves that we live in a world where racism is still at large. It has been over a century since the 13th Amendment passed and abolished slavery, but we are still hit with news every day based on racial crime.
On the 20th of January, 2017, Trump will take his undeserved seat in the White House. During his first 100 days, here’s what he plans to do:
- Deport 2 million illegal immigrants
- Cut all federal funding to cities that don’t prosecute undocumented immigrants, also known as “sanctuary cities”
- Build a wall dividing Mexico and the US even more but not only that, but planning to force Mexico to pay for this wall
- Cut all payment to United Nations climate change programs
- Brand China as a “currency manipulator,” thus imposing a 45% tax on Chinese imports
- Repeal Obamacare, which has provided low-cost healthcare to families across the country
- End the Syrian Refugee program
These are only a few of the terrifying things Trump vowed to impose on his first few days of presidency.
America is supposed to be the land of the free. With Trump as president we are revoking that ideal because he is ready to ban entire races and religions within his first 100 days.
Honestly, this presidential election goes down as one of America’s worst elections ever, having two very contradicting candidates — and choosing the one who is ready to go to war and re-segregate our country. There may not only be disappointment in Americans, but also fear.
Who wants someone who brings fear running a country? As an Hispanic woman, not me.
— Ashley Vega